Welcome to week one of our 2014 Summer Box-Office Challenge!
What is that exactly? (Besides heavily “inspired” by the fine folks over at Gone Elsewhere I mean.)
Think of it as a summer-long contest for movie-lovers – you’ll make predictions and guesses as to which summer movies will rule the box-office each week, we award points and at the end of the contest the three top point-earners will each win a Blu-ray/DVD prize pack!
First place will win ten (10) Blu-ray/DVD titles released throughout the coming summer, second place wins five (5) and third place wins two (2). We’ll have bonus questions each week as well to help bolster your point totals and keep you in the running.
Sound good? We hope you’ll play along with us – we Rejects will be playing for our own prizes (Neil in a dunk tank) – because we’re in it for bragging rights and the fun of flexing our movie knowledge. This means that you have the opportunity to not only win free movies but to beat us at our own game!
Here’s how to play:
The summer movie season kicks off this coming weekend with a singular wide release, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, so the first half of this week’s prediction is a bit of a gimme. It’s a free country though, so if you want to guess that Heaven Is for Real is going to rally and nab the top spot, go right ahead. The real question is how badly the lukewarm response to director Marc Webb’s first go-round with Spider-Man will hurt the sequel at the box-office.
To enter, leave a comment below with your answers to these questions by 11:59 pm Central time Wednesday:
- Predict the #1 film at the box office for May 2–4 and how much it will earn: The closest correct answer earns 5 points, the 2nd closest earns 3 points and a correct guess within one million dollars earns an additional 2 points. (Example: “The Amazing Spider-Man 2, $87.4m”)
- Bonus Question: Will the Elizabeth Banks rom-com Walk of Shame earn more or less than $200k in its limited release this weekend? A correct answer earns 2 points.
Here are the incredibly simple rules:
- The cutoff for predictions is 11:59 pm Central time each Wednesday, and there will be no exceptions.
- Predictions are for Friday to Sunday domestic box office as reported by Box Office Mojo.
- The contest runs through the weekend of July 25–27 (that will be the final round).
- Be sure your Disqus info is accurate and consistent as that’s how we’ll be tracking your guesses week to week and contacting our three winners.
We’ll return next Monday for week 2 and the first look at our leader-board. Thanks for playing and good luck!